Planning Permission Birmingham

Planning permission is the formal consent of a local authority to build or alter a building. It’s something that anyone planning something major will likely need to obtain. Keep reading to learn more about planning permission and if you need it.

Do you Need Planning Permission?

You should always check with the local council to determine if you need planning permission or not. The government’s planning portal can help with this. Right now, the maximum allowed size for planning and designing a single storey extension is double the normal restriction – until May 2019 – to speed up the entire process. That means you could add up to 8 meters to a detached house or 6 meters to a detached property without having to get planning permission.

This temporary change to planning rules could allow you to undertake a double storey extension without having to get planning permission. It applies if the extension will be no bigger than the highest part of the current roof; it won’t extend past the rear wall by over 3 meters; if it is seven meters or more away from the boundary; and if it is made from the same material as the original build.

Even then, it’s essential that you check with the local council.

Small extensions such as loft, garage, and cellar conversions are covered by permitted development rights. Maisonettes and flats aren’t covered by permitted development though, so you would need planning permission. Planning permission is also likely going to be needed in Areas of Outstanding Beauty and National Parks.

How Much Does Planning Permission Cost?

You will need to pay a fee with your planning permission application. This cost can vary between applications, and the fee schedule is different in Wales. For example, applications for listed buildings and buildings in conservation areas can be made without a fee. 

Thomasters Drawings and Building Plans charge £150 to submit your drawings in for planning permission.

How Long Will it Take to Obtain Planning Permission?

After applying for planning permission with a written form or online, you will be given a target determination date. Small scale projects are accepted or rejected within eight weeks. Planning permission approval lasts for around three years, but this can vary. So, you would have three years to complete the work or apply for planning permission again.

What if The Design Changes After Approval?

There are times when you have to change the design after getting approval. If that happens, there are two things you can do; either take advantage of the minor amendments rule, which is for changes such as window positions; or submit a brand new application. Prevention is better than the cure though. Be sure to go over your plans with a fine-tooth comb and have a physical/digital model made before applying.

If the planned changes are minor, you may be able to obtain a “non-material amendment”. Major changes will be considered “material” changes though, meaning that your designs have to be advertised again. That is why you might be required to submit a new application.

What if Your Application is Rejected?

First things first, you want to understand why the application was rejected. Perhaps your proposals were acceptable for the most part, but there was something that couldn’t be approved. If that happens, submitting an altered application would be enough to secure planning permission.

There is also the chance that what you proposed was so far out of the planning policy or guidance that it can’t possibly be accepted. If that happens to you, take a closer look at the policies and alter the design to fit the planning policy.

Finally, there is the chance that the plan was well within the policy guidelines, but your planning department misinterpreted the rules and the application was rejected. If that happens, you may want to get an appeal. An inspector – not the local authority – will independently assess whether the policy was applied properly or not.

What About Section 106 Agreements?

You may have heard about Section 106 Agreements. These are legal agreements that go alongside certain planning applications. They allow the local authority to secure necessary monetary contributions to offset the ultimate impact of the proposed build, or control necessary restrictions for the desired planning consent. These applications are generally reserved for large applications, but some local authorities now use them to get affordable housing contributions for single plot developments. Be sure to check the policy for where you live.


Thomasters Drawings and Building Plans
0121 405 0964 

Social Accounts